MY GREATEST EDUCATION CAME NOT IN ACADEMIA, but instead at the hands of investors and colleagues.
- The ability to see a scientific advance, find the right application, and take it to commercialization is 90% of the work (not the inventing of it).
- Being a key opinion leader doesn’t mean you are right; you still need data and an open mind.
- You always need money.
- People are not always honest about their motivations. If you have questions, ask for the answers and correlate motives and incentives.
- Newfound authority or influence must be used with wisdom, which, if you don’t have, you need to find or hire.
- Don’t let someone tell you what you can’t do, but listen when they tell you what you can or should do.
- Be kind, always take the high road, and do not let any ego — yours included — stand in the way of good decision making.
PAMELA REILLY CONTAG, PH.D., is the CEO and president of BioEclipse Therapeutics.